Years ago when the internet was relatively new, hiring a professional web designer to create a website for your business would’ve been a no-brainer. But with the advent of DIY drag-and-drop website builders such as WIX and Squarespace, many small businesses are starting to take web design into their own hands.
However, just because you can doesn’t necessarily mean you should. Websites serve as a company’s first impression for many consumers, so whether you go the DIY or professional route is a decision worth weighing carefully. Here are some basic pros and cons of each option to get the conversation started:
DIY DRAG AND DROP WEBSITE BUILDERS
- Inexpensive to set up
- Selection of basic templates to choose from
- Intuitive, user-friendly software
- Free or inexpensive hosting, support and add-ons
- Ability to create and modify on your own time
- You are responsible for standout creative elements and SEO
- Free and basic plans include ads not of your choosing
- Paid plans include features you might not ever want or need
- Not complex enough to handle e-commerce sites
- Limited template choice means your website will resemble hundreds of others
- Incredibly difficult to transfer website content and files if you decide to upgrade or switch hosts later
- Monthly payments seem low but surpass the cost of professional design over time
Note: More and more people are using WordPress on their own with varying levels of success. However, there is much more technical and coding knowhow needed to take advantage of the full range of capabilities WordPress provides.
PROFESSIONAL WEBSITE DESIGN
- Websites are customized to stand out from the crowd
- You only pay for the features and add-ons you require
- Personal attention and assistance from a team of experts
- Web designers are up-to-date with the most recent technology, designs, and best practices
- Seamless transfer of your existing content or new website to a different hosting company
- Expert SEO and Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO) consideration during the design process
- A well-planned website that focuses on your goals will eventually pay for itself in increased business
- More expensive than DIY website builders *But not as expensive as you may think.
- Major changes must go through the professional designer instead of companies modifying at-will
DON’T LET THAT FIRST IMPRESSION TURN INTO AN EPIC FAIL
In the Age of the Internet, having a website is no longer an option for most businesses, large or small. And considering most of your potential customers will find you online, even if they live locally, you’ll want to ensure that first impression counts. Don’t fall victim to the outdated notion that your potential customers are not factoring in the quality and usability of your website when making a purchase decision. Worse yet… don’t let your competition use an amateur website as a selling point against you. Even if your business does not operate in the digital space, your website is a reflection of the quality of your services and/or products.
Hiring a professional website developer to create a unique site customized to your company’s needs is the best way to impress at first click—contact AGW Marketing Group today for a consultation to discuss how we can take your web presence to the next level.